February 26, 2008

Small Steps Towards Change

When you’re ready to make a change there are ways to make the transition easier. Too many times when someone decides to make a change in their life, they focus too much on the change and give up when they don't see the progress they hope for. What needs to happen instead is focusing on the NEW behavior that you would like to add to your life’s activities. For example, let’s say that you want to begin eating more healthy. You might say, “OK, I am going to start eating healthy tomorrow”. If you think about it, that is a bit unrealistic and can be a recipe (no pun intended) for failure. Why don’t you instead pick just one meal that you are going to make sure is healthy. Give yourself a week or two with that one and then add another healthy meal to your day. Breaking things down into smaller steps goes a long way.

by Nyla Lengacher

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great post! It reminds me of the concept of the 4 stages of change:
1-unconscious dysfunction
2-conscious dysfunction
3-conscious function
4-unconscious function

I'm enjoying your blog!
Katie
www.katiemalinski.com/blog

Unknown said...

Blog on, Girl!
Another way I like to make change real is ask myself "How will I know when I am eating more healthy?" And the answer often goes: "I will know I am eating better when...my skinny jeans are easier to button or I didn't stop off at McDonald's for two days or I bought fat free creamer at the grocery store".
Thanks for bringing our awareness back to the power of consciousness!